Friday, November 6, 2009

THE BLESSINGS OF MEALS




I took pictues of a typical breakfast meal at the Pruitt household. We eat a lot of granola, oatmeal, pancakes and eggs. Everyone is assigned a day to set the table, pass out food and pray over the meal. Then there is another team of two, who clean
the table.

Meals are typically prepared by husband (he loves to cook) or I.
Many times our children ask to prepare meals themselves or bake, and we are happy
to let them.... of course it has to be age appropriate.

We constantly get asked "how do you feed that many kids" "how do you take care
of that many kids" and my response is always the same. It would be impossible without Christ
and like most large families, we have a system that works.

Serving others should be a joy. I was recently asked by a homestudy social worker if
we were causing our children to be parentified. That word has become a dirty
word in adoption circles. I told him "I am parentified and it made me the
person I am today." Of course I came from a difficult backround that my children
don't have to endure. I am not laying on the couch drinking or doing drugs while
they set the table. We are teaching theM God's way of loving and serving others...
and the art of large families has been lost in today's generation. To God
CHILDREN ARE ALWAYS A BLESSING!

Many homeschooling families consider good manners important, but we want to go beyond "minding our manners" and understand what it really means to demonstrate Christlike love and a servant's heart toward all, regardless of position, income, race, background or outward appearance.

In Ephesians, servants are urged to serve others "in sincerity of heart, as to Christ; not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, with goodwill doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men, knowing that whatever good anyone does, he will receive the same from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free." --Ephesians 6:5-8

No comments:

Post a Comment