Saturday, November 14, 2009

How God called our hearts to Liberia Africa


One of the things I like most about being a child of the king is that it is
full of adventure! If my heart remains open to his calling... I can go to
other countries, like Liberia Africa.
Several years ago someone posted about a little boy that needed transportation
money from Liberia Africa to the U. S. He had swallowed caustic acid (used for
cleaning) and it had destroyed his esophagus and part of his stomach.
http://www.globalorphanoutreach.com/CausticEducation.html


He was already desperately poor and now needed medical treatment and liquid food.
It was just one of those moments when I felt the calling of the Lord. I asked
my husband if we could give them the money for the trip and he immediately
agreed.

We kept in contact with the family who hosted this little boy and continually prayed
for his healing. I believe that is what gave us the strong desire to adopt a baby from
Liberia. I was still desperately wanting to mother an infant (even with 15 kids at home)
and again approached my husband with adopting another child. He was open to one child.
Little did I know that God had other plans.

When I started looking at children from Liberia I fell in love with a sibling group of two little
girls, an infant and a toddler. My husband agreed to two little ones but before we could get
in our paperwork the baby died of Malaria. My heart broke... but I knew that the Lord
now wanted us to take two.

Our next referral came in for two little girls ages 4 months and 2. I was ecstatic.. their pictures
were adorable and my heart started falling in love. Little did I know that the baby was
very ill. She never was held in her mothers arms or nursed, the mother died in childbirth.
For the poor, if they cannot breastfeed, there is no option but starvation for their children.
My baby already severely malnourished now had malaria and dysentery. Her foster parents
told me later that everyone thought she would die.... but they prayed over her fervently
and the Lord restored her.

We had accepted that we would be traveling in a few months to pick up our girls, buying
baby things, putting together all the paperwork required for international adoption when
we got a phone call from the agency.

They told us that there was a sister, seven years old that they were willing to separate from the girls....
My heart hurt at the thought of picking up the girls with their sister watching. How could we just ignore that there was a sibling. I began fervently praying that my husband would say yes to another child.
Well..... they called again to say that OOPS there was a brother also. He was three years old
and somehow they had missed him in processing the paperwork. I just cried! I cried because
I just couldn't believe that my husband and our homestudy worker would accept us adopting
four kids. Yea of little faith....
To my amazement they both said yes! We were going to adopt a sibling set of four ages 4 months, 2,3 and 7. And by the total grace of God we had the money to do it.

How do you explain being so totally in love with children you have never seen? I can only
explain it one way.

Ephesians 1:4,6
"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:"

"Having predestined us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will."

It is the love and faith that God had placed in my heart. Adoption is not foreign to me. I
am adopted by my heavenly father... loved even before I was conceived. So for me, to love
the unseen, unloved, unwanted comes natural. For without my adoption being finalized in
heaven, I could of never given that kind of love away.

Tomorrow the trip to Liberia.

No comments:

Post a Comment